“Government’s view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.” –Ronald Reagan
It’s tax time again! You may not like this time of year, but many people do. Was saving money, making money or spending money on your list of resolutions for 2015? If so, here’s a great opportunity to start the year off right. Don’t just talk about it, be about it and just do it! Instead of using your tax refund that you allowed the government to hold all year with no interest to buy something of no value, utilize it to increase your financial portfolio and better the life of yourself and those around you. You will be much better off in the long run and you will reap what you sow. A harvest well planted grows bountiful in rewards. Listed below are 5 things you can do today to increase your net worth.
1. Buy a house. As a homeowner, you get to deduct the interest you pay to the mortgage company. Even though home ownership comes with a lot of responsibility, the good outweighs everything. Instead of being the 3rd party in a transaction, it will be you and the bank. Not you, the landlord and the bank. Home ownership helps you build wealth. You will have an opportunity to build a solid credit history with on time monthly payments.This gives you leverage. If you are renting or leasing, your landlord enjoys this benefit. He/she is basically enjoying the financial rewards of your inability to do this and creating wealth at the same time. Things have changed a lot with buying a home. I suggest you seek a qualified, licensed Realtor and mortgage professional to help you along the way.
2. Start a home-based business. You may feel that starting a business can be costly and overwhelming. Well… you are right for the most part. However, a home based business offers so much more flexibility and are typically less expensive to start versus a brick and mortar type of business. Most home based business owners start while they are still working a job to make ends meet. That’s the uniqueness of this type of opportunity. Being a business owner gives you the right to write off expenses while conducting business. It also provides you with another means of income and you are not so dependent on your job. Business owners save an average of $500.00 monthly on their taxes and that’s just the tip of the iceberg. That’s about 10 to 18 percent. You have the flexibility to do what the average tax payer cannot do which gives you more diversity in your portfolio. You can deduct home office space, utilities, gifts and incentives to name a few. Check with your local tax advisor about the advantages in your state.
3. Invest in stock options. Even though the Dow has its ups and downs, your money has a greater chance to increase versus being placed in a bank account at 0.5% to 2% interest. Search and investigate the companies growth history over the last five years so that you can make a wise decision. Hire a broker if you don’t feel comfortable with your knowledge. Join an investment club, watch you-tube videos and read books. There’s so much information available at your fingertips about how to build wealth.
4. Pay off credit card debt with the highest interest. Most of your monthly payment is going towards the interest and not the balance. This activity makes it literally impossible to ever pay it off in a reasonable amount of time. Debt is the handicap of wealth. The only way to get rid of it is to stop accumulating it. Credit card debt can be good and bad. Depending on what you are using it for justifies its value.
5. Donate to charity. This is the most rewarding aspect of giving. You haven’t been blessed until you can bless someone else. Not only will you impact the lives of others, but you will contribute to your personal well being by utilizing it as a deduction next year to do the same thing again or find a new cause. Find a charity you are passionate about. Utilize its mission to make you a better person. Get involved with the charity and its purpose. Your time and donation will be indispensable to those in need.
I hope you found these five tips worthy. Encourage others to take this challenge. Be the spearhead of this endeavor and watch how your life and your circumstance will change for the better. Not only will you be happier, you will also feel more accomplished. Blessings!
“The person who does not know where his next dollar is coming from usually does not know where his last dollar went.” –Unknown
I am Nichelle Womack. As a people building coach, I specialize in helping you reach your greatest potential through self-reliance and internal motivation. I provide inspiration through online and community speaking engagements. Positive thoughts and language are my fuel for energy and my desire to help you find yours. Looking for more great life tips, check out “The Master Tip Manual for Personal Success” @http://amzn.to/1bWA7Vw . Many blessings and much success to you!! Check out my websites @ www.nichellewomack.com and www.diversecc.com. Connect with me on Twitter @DiverseConnect.